Slimcado Satisfaction

Slimcado Solution 001

Usually sending my husband to the grocery store for a few items I have on my grocery list results in a bunch of purchases that weren’t on my list.  Like a box of chocolate lover Entenmanns’s donuts, cartons of OJ, a new Willy Wonka candy bar and several bottles of Naked juices.  Ahh~you know what happens to those things when he brings them home.  I consume them.

But this time when my husband ventured out to the store for a few things I asked him to get, he brought back two SlimCado’s.  Like an avocado but bigger and less fat.  30% less fat to be exact in the ones he bought.  SlimCados are the West Indian avocado variety.  The skin is smoother and glossier than a regular avocado.  And the SlimCado did not disappoint.

Slimcado Solution 022

The day that I made this dinner, I had been wondering in my mind throughout the day what I had on hand to make for dinner that I could include an avocado in.  I didn’t get up and look in the pantry, freezer or fridge, I just thought about it.  I was too busy on my computer to get up, ha!  I am sure some of you can relate.

So dinner time rolled around and scrounged thru the contents of my hot and cold cooler and found some ingredients for a great meal!

First, chicken breasts were defrosted, cooked, shredded by hand and put on top of a corn tortilla.  I sliced and diced some green onions and added those too.  Green onions are all I had and they worked out just fine.  After all, the salsa we added to the top of these quesadilla’s had onions in it too :)

Slimcado Solution 003

With the chicken and onions on the tortilla, added next is the cheese!  I had some fat free cheese leftover and then some regular shredded cheddar cheese too.  I put the quesadilla’s in the oven and broiled on high until hot and crispy.

Slimcado Picnik collage

While the ‘dilla’s were a cookin’ the next task was to cut up the SlimCado.  I slice them into two halves, throw away the seed in the middle and then slice into chunks.

Slimcado Solution 009 Slimcado Solution 010

Avocado’s are so easy to serve this way.  Now all you have to do is scoop out the chunks of avocado with a spoon.

I also added some taco seasoning to the quesadilla topped mixture to add more flavor.  Once again, this is all stuff I had on hand already.

Slimcado Solution 011

Yum, freshly crisped and warmed quesadilla straight outta the oven!

Slimcado Solution 012

And another one that is even a little crispier.  But that’s the way I love my cheese on top, crispy.  Yep, I’m always the one picking the crispy cheese strings off of the baking sheet with my fingers.  No shame.

Slimcado Solution 013

The quesadilla’s were topped with SlimCado chunks and several spoonfuls of my favorite Trader Joe’s salsa.

Corn and Chile Tomato-Less Salsa.  So good.

Slimcado Solution 004

Salsa, get on top of this quesadilla pronto!

Slimcado Solution 014

And a fabulous dinner was born.

Slimcado Solution 015

Slimcado Solution 016

Slimcado Solution 018

Slimcado Solution 020

Tortilla.  Chicken.  Onion.  Corn.  Avocado.  Peppers.  Spice.  Salsa.

How can you go wrong with those powerhouse ingredients!

Slimcado Solution 021

Slimcado Solution 023

A scrumptious dinner creation.  All because I sent my husband to the store for me.

And he came home with a SlimCado.  Our virgin attempt at eating a SlimCado was complete satisfaction.

Slimcado Solution 002

Have you ever tried one of these?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever sent your friend, family member or significant other to the store for something for you and they came back with many other things you didn’t ask for?

And what did you make with their purchases?

About these ads

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Slimcado Satisfaction

1. I’ve never tried one of those but your dinner looks fantastic!

2. That looks a.m.a.z.i.n.g :) Sadly I do most of the shopping in my house, but the hubby can run to the store if I send him with a list or request of just a few things!

BTW-I love avocados!

3. looks delicious! i’ll have to try a slimcado soon!

• Lindsay, let me know what you think of them. I don’t think it tasted any different than a regular avacado!

• Kim says:

I had my first one this week, I think they are firmer, less slippery per say and sweeter then the regular avacado, not sure how well it would mash up to make guac but I am loving it all by itself. Was looking for the nutritional info on it when I happened on this blog, the dinner looks really great…thanks for letting me post…smiles, a fan of the slim cado!

4. ~Jessica~ says:

I would love to try one of those Slimcadoes but have never seen them in the UK :( Regular avocadoes are so delicious but they tend to make me feel rather ill, perhaps due to the high fat content. It’s a shame the Slimcado variety is so elusive.

Unfortunately, it’s usually me that comes back from the store with unusual purchases, and then wonders what the heck I was thinking in terms of actually being able to use them.

5. Holli says:

Slimcados… what will they think of next? :)

6. I have NEVER heard of a slimcado – that is the most hilarious name ever. I am way to anal about my grocery shopping to allow anyone to do it for me. hehe.

7. TJs corn salsa is sooo good. I always end up eating the whole jar.

And YES my hubby always buys stuff we don’t need, like chocolate covered preztels, dark chocolate covered raisins, at least 2 bags of tortilla chips, and tons of processed frozen meals that I don’t eat…sigh.

8. i had NO idea there was such a thing as a slimcado. WOW! That looks like a delish meal.

9. Yummy meal! :)
    I’ve never even heard of a slimcado before!! Weird…!

10. Faith says:

I haven’t had a slim-cado, but I do love the California avocados. They’re supposed to be lower in fat than your regular Haas ones and they’re WAY bigger too, about the same size as yours!

11. Your meal looks absolutely amazing!! Please come cook for me! I have never tried a slimcado either but now I MUST!!! My hubby comes home with the weirdest things too! I LOVE your blog…I get so excited to read it!

12. Jenn says:

Oh my gosh…Your blog is sooo cute!! I absolutely hate Avo’s but WISH i loved them. I have way too many food texture issues! I love that you eat grahams with frosting too…I always wonder if my weird food cravings come from Utah or everyone else loves them too!
    So excited to read more of your blog!!

• You know Jenn, I hated them too until about a year and a half ago. I couldn’t imagine eating green mush. But then my mom diced one up, put some onion powder and garlic salt on it and it was delicious. I’ve been eating them ever since!

13. Did you frind that these had less flavor than the regular ones? Bigger versions of fruits or veggies seem to always have less flavor so I’m just wondering.

My dad and brother ALWAYS come back with different things. Not so much that they randomly buy things, but that they don’t know what brand of milk or bread to buy..so they come home with different things. It’s not so bad..kind of forces us to try new brands or flavors.

14. Mary says:

I too love SlimCados. I work for the company that grows them in Florida. Hope you don’t mind me doing a post, but I thought you’d want to know that they are naturally less fat and fewer calories which is always a plus. And theyll be hard to find since their season is coming to a close soon. They start back up in June.

• Mary, this is great news!!! It’s awesome to know they are naturally less fat and few calories. Will be looking forward to when we get them during their next growing season! Thanks for stopping by :)

I haven’t even heard of Slimcado’s–very interesting.

Your meal looks superb! I love the burnt cheese bits on top and I do the same thing with cheese with there is a little on the baking sheet. No way in hell I am letting that go to waste!

16. Wow! Slimcado?! This is my first exposure to the fruit. Love how you cook so clean!!

I’m a Midwestie too…but in the Pac NW right now…

17. Rose says:

That whole meal looks super delicious! I’m going to have to keep my eye out for slimcados around here. I’d never even heard of them.

I’m pretty lucky to live somewhere with such awesome hikes. I like to take advantage of it.

18. allieatfood says:

Wow! I never even knew these existed but I’m so excited!! I’m in love with avocados. Your idea for dinner was very simple yet looked satisfying and delish. I love picking off the crispy cheese too haha :)

19. I’ve never even heard of a slim cado! I mean HOW in the world is it naturally reduced fat??

None the less your dinner is beyond inspiring and looks absolutly amazing!!!! I love anything…I repeat ANYTHING with cheese, salsa, and avocado. on a tortilla = bonus points ALL the way!

• Yep, naturally lower in fat and calories than a regular avacado.

• Mary Ostlund says:

Don’t mean to be overbearing, but I thought I’d answer your question. SlimCados are a different variety than hass or other California varieties. If you think about it hass and other California avocados are grown in a dry environment. Trust me, Florida is anything but dry. You end up with less oil and more water in the fruit. Oil and water are two horrible ways to describe great tasting avocados, but it does highlight the difference between the varieties. SlimCados are lighter tasting but still carry a great avocado taste. And yes it’s true, all avocados have the ‘good’ fat (monunsaturated) but doctors say that you still need to limit the amount of ‘good’ fat that you eat. After all, it’s ‘good’ fat until it ends up around your waist.

20. Melissa says:

I love slimcados, they are so tasty! Especially in guacamole, my personal favorite!

21. wow that is a REAL quesadilla right there! might be making that exact same thing for lunch today after seeing how good that looks! :) i’ve never even heard of slimcados, but i’ll have to check them out to see if my grocery store carries them. have a great day!

22. Slimcado-love it! Whenever I ask for 1 of something my fiance comes back with a case!

23. This is the story of my life! I will send my BF to the store for a sweet potato and he will come back with a bag of chips, pop, shredded cheese, coco puffs, AND NO SWEET POTATO! Grrr! I have never heard of Slimcados before though! I will keep my eyes peeled for them!

24. ive heard of these but i wish i could see one/find one in person- very interesting!!!
    and holy moly does this dish look insanely yummy!!!! love the finished product ;)

25. Never seen those at the store, too cool.

Yes, Dan always comes back with 10x more than he was supposed to buy, so I hate for him to ever go. He rarely brings back cool things like RF avocadoes! usually it’s junk I won’t eat or other things we don’t need. He’s like a little kid in the store, all of the displays appeal to him and he’ll just start throwing stuff in the cart, lol!

• Send him to the shoe store next time with a picture of what you want. Maybe he’ll come home with 3 other new pairs of shoes that you didn’t ask for but that you love too! HA!

26. A slimcado! I’ve never heard of that – What type of grocery store did he get this at? What a good find :)

27. Mmm, that corn and chile salsa looks yummy! Too bad I didn’t see it when I was at TJ’s the other day! I am such a salsa queen! Haha…just the dippage, not the dancing, though I WISH I could say that!

28. I am the same way with cheese! Crispy, melted cheese is the best :)

29. Hey….I know where you got that package of Taco Seasoning! As a matter of fact, I picked up a pack of it at that same store this last weekend! Great to see the midwest love!

And this might sound like a completely ignorant question (blame it on the male in me), but I love me some avocados (especially on salads, or on sandwiches/burgers as a topping, or Jimmy Johns style as a spread for a sandwich). Our local grocer will sometimes do a 2/$3.00, or a 3/$5.00 sale, and I’ll buy some, but it feels like if I cut one open, I need to eat it all in one shot. I made the mistake of putting the rest of an opened ‘cado in the fridge one time, and it turned brown (and mentally, I coudn’t bring myself to eating it).

Any hints as to how to best take advantage of the ‘cado?

• Mary says:

I’m constantly on the look-out for ‘the’ way to avoid avocado browning. I’d be interested in hearing other hints.

It’s helpful to think of what’s really happening to the avocado, oxidation. Air is getting to it and turning it brown. So you want to avoid air getting to the avocado. The best hint I’ve found is to squirt the avocado’s exposed area with lime, cover area with plastic wrap (if a half of avocado, even getting the wrap into the seed cavity). I’ve made guacamole squirted lime on top (not mixing it in) and covering with plastic wrap literally smoothing the wrap over the guac. When ready to serve, I just mix in the lime.

• Did you see the comment after this one where the avacado expert answers your question?!

30. Never heard of these, but would love to try them. And what better to try them with some quesadillas.

31. Why have I never thought of just doing an open face quesadilla?!? I always feel like I need to have 2 tortillas, but always want just 1….Thanks!

32. Nuha says:

I never know what to use avocados for besides guacamole. What you made looks really good! And 30% less fat? Sign me up!

33. Oh yummy, this looks great! I like that they’re bigger than the regular avacado too! My grandma has avacadoes like this in Florida. They’re really big, lighter green, and have a smooth glossy skin. Diff. than the California Hass. I wonder if they are Slimcados? Cool new food! Thanks for sharing with Friday Firsts!!

34. RobbieC says:

I just tried a Slimcado and I have to say…by itself it’s pretty bland. It has neither the luscious flavor nor the buttery consistency of a regular black Haas avocado. I made a wrap with lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegrette. It was pretty good but the slimcado added very little to the taste.

I’d rather budget the extra calories, get the Haas variety, and benefit from the Omega-3’s.