Luscious Lemon Pudding Cake Cups

Lemon pudding

Is it pudding or is it cake?

It doesn’t matter.

What matters is the taste.  And this tastes terrific, trust me :)

The batter separates during baking to create a light, fluffy, airy cake on top with a luscious, saucy, lemon pudding layer on bottom!

lemon pudding 3

So much flavor in this yellow, oval shaped, citrus fruit~

Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 001

Blend together the cake ingredients in one bowl and in the other bowl beat egg whites until fluffy. This is what give the cake layer it’s spongy texture~

Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 020 Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 021  Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 023

Grate the lemon rind and squeeze the lemon for the fresh juice~

Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 025 Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 026 Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 027

Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 067 Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 068  Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 070

Bake in a pan of hot water till bronzed on top~

Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 071   Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 074 Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 075

Lemon Pudding Cake Cups

• 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk
  • 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 egg white
  1. In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another small bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into lemon mixture.
  2. Pour into two ungreased 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place in a shallow baking dish; add 1 in. of hot water to dish.
  3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 170°. Allow to cool in water bath for 10 minutes before carefully removing cups to a wire rack. Serve warm or refrigerate.

Yield: 2 servings.

Recipe from Taste of Home’s Cooking for 2.

The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for more servings.

Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 078  Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 077 Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 081

A self-saucing pudding cake!

Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 087Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 082    Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 086

Sweet.  Sour.  Tart.

Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 088  Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 090 Jan. 19 taco pie and lemon dessert 091

Dive in with a spoon.  Fluffy cake on top and creamy pudding on the bottom.  Amazing how it cooks and the layers separate!

Lemon pudding 1

Luscious lemon pudding cake!   PUCKER UP!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were lemon (and orange) trees at the resort in Scottsdale Arizona that we stayed at and I just wanted to pick them all!

2Scottsdale collage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are totally iced in.  ICE-ZILLA and SNOW-ZILLA have arrived in full force and it’s been going on since Monday.

I took these pictures Tuesday morning after the first ice storm, and now, we have even more ice and snow.

When will spring ever arrive?

Dear Spring,

I miss you.  I miss your warmth and sunshine.  I miss being able to walk outside with you and not have my fingers and nose hairs freeze.  I miss the times when my puppies aren’t afraid to step out the door.  I miss the days when I can drive to the gym in my car with my sunglasses on and sunroof open.  Not having to skate around the rink outside my home for exercise.  I miss being able to see out the windows of my house, not having them completely iced over where everything out there is a blur.  I miss the smell of grass and fresh flowers.  Ice has no smell.  I miss being able to put on flip flops to walk down the driveway to the mailbox.  Not having to put on my husbands golf spikes to shuffle down the iced driveway to find the mailman couldn’t deliver due to inclement weather.

Hurry back spring, I miss you very much!

Sincerely, Amy

Ice 2-1-11 20 Ice 2-1-11 21 Ice 2-1-11 22 Ice 2-1-11 23 Ice 2-1-11 24

Ice 2-1-11 001 Ice 2-1-11 002 Ice 2-1-11 003 Ice 2-1-11 004

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever put lemon juice in your hair out in the sun?  Did you end up with highlights or a disaster?

Any other strange uses for lemon juice that you know of?

About these ads

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Luscious Lemon Pudding Cake Cups

1. yum! i love lemon anything. can’t wait to make these. we’re getting some crazy ice here too! i need to go take pics :)

2. JFlo says:

I LOVE Sun In w/lemon juice! It works awesome in my hair :) I wish I were better at doing this, but to drink a glass of warm water with lemon juice and ground flax every morning is very cleansing to the body. I saw it on Dr. Oz.

3. Shawn says:

Today is my lucky day! I found the cutest site with an “OMG” lemon dessert…I can’t wait to try out this recipe.

4. Your pictures are seriously phenomenal!! And the lemon cake looks delicious!!! If spring writes you back, tell her to come to Chicago too ;)

5. I used sun in back in the day. It’s basically like concentrated lemon juice and it really worked ha.

I love the lemon dessert. Lemon cakes are certainly one of my favorites.

6. Those are such cute little lemon cake cups! Great idea!

7. It’s warm in Cali!

And yes I totally “juiced” my hair and it worked. Oh the cheap highlight days ;-P

I love anything lemon and this sounds light and tasty.

8. I love the little lemon slices on top — such a nice touch. :) These look great! :)

9. Faith says:

Love how you turned lemon into pudding! Very creative idea. Never would have though of it. The cake looks fantastic and your photography is something else!

10. Rach says:

Oh girl, those lemon pudding cups look fabulous!

And I would like to sign your letter to Spring as well. I just want sunshine back!!

Omg that lemon pudding looks divine! And I hope you get your sun soon, ours seems to never have left lol

mMmMm lemon makes me think of summer…..its snowing here too… I WANT SPRING!

13. Lemon juice is great for getting stains out of clothes. Lemon juice and lay the clothes in the sun. Viola!

And yes, I have totally used it in my hair. Works GREAT!

14. Ooo I love all lemon desserts! THis looks fantastic!

15. I wonder if you can make this with chocolate & lemon? It looks great! Stay warm Amy!

16. terri says:

hi amy! thanks for visiting my blog!! i love your dear spring letter! i am so ready for some sunshine! we got pelted with ice as well last night! xo

17. Julie says:

Amazing pictures and recipe!! I just love the details you put into your whole post. Well done. Thanks for sharing.
    Arnold

18. Livvy says:

Pudding cake!?! Yum! Yes please!! This looks so good; I love the idea of lemon in February…almost reminds me that Spring will eventually come! Thanks for the recipe;)

19. lindsay says:

oh I made those for thanksgiving. So refreshing! I think i am ready for spring, all things spring in fact!!

20. I used to always put lemon juice in my hair…but i think my hair is too dark now for that!
    I’m not a huge citrus fan…but you have a way of making EVERYTHING look appetizing :)

21. oh wow, those look good. must admit though, i’ve only used lemon in cooking (and the occassional cocktail, of course. :))

22. Imwaytoobusy says:

Oh, this has GOT to be good! I love anything with lemon in it. Bookmarked!

23. Everything you make looks so good! My sister has a lemon tree that’s bearing fruit… I wonder if she would let me steal some to make this :) I’m sure once she sees how good this looks, she will!

24. BigFatBaker says:

Hello!
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It’s great to meet you too :)
    The ice is ridiculous, I hope the groundhog was right and spring comes soon. As for the lemon juice in the hair, I must admit I have done it. It was a really cheap way for me to lighten it up over the summer. I don’t know if it works for everyone but it turned me almost completely blonde.
    Stay warm!

25. That looks utterly divine! I love tart treats!

26. Ah, I am saying the same thing to Spring! Pleaseee Spring I need you!!

27. Oh the ice… That’s one thing I feel thankful for- we just received buckets of snow. Ice scares me a little…

And I’m counting down the days until spring- why does it still seem so far away?!?!?!

28. Wahhh I love lemons so much, and this looks like something I NEED to make!!!! Mmmmm!

btw i am updating my blogroll, and totally added you b.c. i just love your blog!

Having really really really dark brown hair, I have horrible memories of Sun In and the ugly orange it turned my hair.

Hope you’re staying warm up there, those pics sent a chill through me!

30. beautyrun says:

That lemon pudding-cake looks so yummy. I MUST try this recipe!

31. UrMomCooks says:

I want any dessert that can be make as little individual treats! And love the seasonal lemon. I plan to keep baking, and spring will come!