Cherry Almond Angel Cupcakes For Your Valentine!

snow day baking 200

A’ight, stop whatcha doin’
‘Cause I’m about to ruin
The image and the style that ya used to.
I bake sweets,
But yo, I’m makin’ treats, see
So yo world I hope you’re ready for me.
Now gather ’round
I’m the new blogger in town
And my sites laid down by The Scene From Me.
So just let me introduce myself
My name is Amy, pronounced with a way-me.
Yo readers, oh how I like to please thee.

Aren’t you just singing Digital Undergrounds, The Humpty Dance, in your head right now?  Your welcome :)

Thank you to Kristy for asking me to contribute to her Seven days of Sweets for your Sweetheart series!  To see my guest post on Kristy’s blog Sweet Treats and More click here.  She is doing Seven Days of Sweets for your Sweetheart leading up to Valentine’s Day and my recipe for Cherry Almond Angel Cupcakes was featured yesterday.

Sometimes you just don’t need a whole big cake.  Please allow me to introduce you to these indulgent looking angel food cupcakes filled with the flavors of cherry and almond :)

Cherry

Cupcake liners make removing the cupcakes from the pan much easier!  And I broke out my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for this duty.  With the addition of cherry extract to the cupcakes and frosting, it adds a wonderful zing to their taste!

cherry 1

Add some fun and colorful sprinkles to the batter :)

cherry5

Angel food cake mix, red food coloring and sprinkles.  It worked well to use my cookie scoop to get the batter cleanly in to the cups.  And with they come out of the oven, lightly browned on top = done!

cherry6

Fat free frosting?  Whoop whoop!  Yes it is !

Sweet, creamy and fluffy!

With a little added cherry and almond extract, plus red food coloring, this is sure to please your tastebuds and have them begging for more!

snow day baking 2-2-11 122

I broke out my “fun gun” to add the swirly cherry icing to the top of the cupcakes!

snow day baking 2-2-11 138

snow day baking 2-2-11 150

snow day baking 2-2-11 146

snow day baking 2-2-11 177

Cherry Almond Angel Cupcakes

• 3/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 5 large egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cherry extract
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 2 Tbsp. colored sprinkles
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place muffin cup liners in a muffin pan.  In a small bowl, sift together cake flour and 1/4 cup superfine sugar.
  2. In a large bowl, beat room-temperature egg whites until foamy, then add in cream of tartar and salt. Gradually add in the remaining 1/2 cup of superfine sugar while the mixer is on high speed, beating the egg whites to form stiff peaks. Blend in cherry and almond extracts.
  3. Fold in flour mixture, adding it in two or three additions.
  4. Divide evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling them 3/4 full.
  5. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until tops are golden brown and the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
  6. Cool on a wire rack

Makes 12 cupcakes.

Fluffy Frosting

And to top these delightful cupcakes, I used Betty Crocker Homestyle Fluffy White Frosting Mix.

cherry10

• 1 pkg. Fluffy White Frosting Mix
  • 1/2 c. boiling water
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp. cherry extract

Empty packet in to large mixing bowl with 1/2 c. boiling water and beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.  Beat on high speed for 5 to 7 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally, until stiff peaks form.  Add in extracts and mix thoroughly.

Frost cooled cupcakes.  Use colored sugar crystals to decorate along with almond slices and that all important cherry on top!

snow day baking 2-2-11 148

And I spiffed up the tops of these lil cupcakes with fat free frosting, almond slices, sugar crystals and a maraschino cherry!

snow day baking 2-2-11 179

Perfect.  With a cherry on top!  Gotta love that :)

snow day baking 2-2-11 180

snow day baking 2-2-11 182   snow day baking 2-2-11 200

These cupcakes look like lil sundaes with whipped cream and a cherry on top!

snow day baking 2-2-11 185

snow day baking 2-2-11 188

Hey Sweetie, XOXO, Gossip Girl.

snow day baking 2-2-11 149

snow day baking 2-2-11 195

Do you feel like you are in an ice cream store?

snow day baking 2-2-11 203

The icing and the cupcakes are fat free.  Wow!

snow day baking 2-2-11 206

snow day baking 2-2-11 208

See the funfetti sprinkles I added in to the cake batter?  Love sprinkles!

snow day baking 2-2-11 217

snow day baking 201

So light and fluffy, they aren’t as filling as other cakes.  So yes, that does mean you can have 2 or 3 4 or 5 for your Valentine’s Day breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert!

snow day baking 202

I am sure your Valentine would feel extra special having this scrumptious light treat on their plate!

This recipe was featured on Makes & Takes Spotlight also.  See here.

Do you prefer to have a home cooked meal on Valentine’s Day or go out and have the restaurant do the work for you?

Do you make heart shaped food for your Valentine on Valentine’s Day?

I remember when I was first married I made my husband a heart shaped pizza and cut out the letters to form the words “I Love You” out of Velveeta cheese squares to top the pizza with.  It was cute!

About these ads

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to Cherry Almond Angel Cupcakes For Your Valentine!

1. I saw these on Kristy’s-in your guest post…to see them again is like a tease-so yummy!

2. Gorgeous cupcakes! We usually go out to dinner but on Valentine’s Day.. we’ll do the day before or after so we can go to one of our favorite restaurants without all the waiting.

3. Once again you have me drooling…. Those are pretty!!
    I like to go out one night and cook another night… I would celebrate Valentines Day for days because I love all of the cute things you can buy for it!

4. These cupcakes are seriously beautiful!!! On Valentine’s Day, we usually go out, only because we don’t live together yet, so it doesn’t make sense for us to sit at one of our parents’ houses. I can’t wait until we get our own place though!

5. Those look so tasty and I love that “fun gun.” I am horrible with pastry bags (not so steady hands) when it comes to frosting cupcakes but I feel like if I had a gun like that, I would be much better :)

Thanks for sharing!

6. I think I’m making these this weekend! Thanks again!

7. You had me at a’ight!

I usually like to go out on Valentine’s day — gourmet meal, wine, ambiance.

But this year, I think I’m going to stay home and make some lobster tails. My husband and I equate lobsters with romance because as Phoebe from Friends told us, they mate for life. :)

8. Too cute!! My girlfriends and I are having a dessert and drinks girl’s night next weekend and I’ve been looking for something lighter and with “less guilt” to bake, so this is definitely going on the list of prospects. :) Also, that Fun Gun looks awesome! Where did you purchase it?

As far as V-Day, I like both. I think it’s good to change it up from time to time; go out to dinner one year, but cook for your sweetie another!

These look sooo good and too pretty! :) I love that they are almost meringue-like, and they seem like they’d be super light! The pink is gorgeous, ah I love it! That is so cute about making your husband a homemade pizza with I love you written on it..nothing says it better than Velveeta! hahaha ;)

10. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog…mainly ’cause it led me to yours!!! Those cupcakes are adorable…wiping the drool off my chin as I type.

I usually crack open a good bottle of red wine, cook up some rib eyes, a veggie and make chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine’s Day. Beats fighting the crowds at the restaurants.

11. Holli says:

Those look SOOOOOO good!!! I love this post!! (I so have that song in my head now…. lol)

12. These look delicious! I actually dislike the whole Valentine’s Day thing but I did buy my hubby and heart shaped pizza once, probably his favorite present ever.

13. Faith says:

My oh my! those cupcakes are perfect for Valentine day. They are so cute and adorable. Your decorati0n really looks great. I love it.

Those look great! My boyfriend and I are making dinner for valentines day, so I guess I prefer home cooked- but we are on a college campus, so we don’t get it a lot, either:)

15. I LOVE angel food cake and never think to make cupcakes out of it. Yum yum yum! And so pretty. Genius girl!

16. lindsay says:

I’m giddy just looking at this. That says a lot, hehe!

17. I’m totally making these if I have time tonight! The ingredients are so simple! I love that- and they’re pink. Seriously, what is better than a pink cupcake? A meat one? Just kidding. ;)

18. Charlie says:

These cupcakes look amazing!
    I have silicone heart-shaped muffin tins and for a long time, they were the only ones I had. So my muffins were always heart shaped ;).

19. KATIE says:

ADORABLE!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE CUPCAKES! :) XOXOX

20. Love that the cake and icing is pink! We usually go out to dinner because as much as I love cooking I also love a good excuse to go out and try somewhere new for dinner!

21. Kath (My Funny Little Life) says:

Hi Amy, thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! Your cupcakes are artworks, they look fantastic! :D

I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day. It’s not so usual in Germany (although it’s getting imported more and more, like Halloween), and also I’m not in love. I think the perfect Valentine’s evening for me would be to settle on the sofa with a nice glass of wine and a good book. :)

22. Shannon says:

love the sounds of these, i’m going to have to be on the lookout for cherry extract ;)

23. These look so yummy!!!! My bf and I always go out to our fav resterant for special days.!! Maybe because we always eat at home every other day!! :)

24. Amy, those are SO CUTE!!!!! And yes, I love heart shaped food on Valentine’s! :)

25. Gina says:

These are sooo cute! I’m especially loving that Valentine’s Day bowl!

This has got to be the most cutest Valentines Day cupcakes ever! Omg I am drooling. And I prefer to make my meal at home with the bf. We find new and inventive things to make together and it’s great to just be able to eat healthy too

27. I am so jealous of your cupcake decorator. I have one too, but it’s really long and not that easy to use!

28. Laurel says:

My kids would go crazy over these! They are just so fun. I’d love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

29. Those are the cutest cupcakes I have ever seen! The fact that they’re mostly fat free is just a bonus.

30. Kristie says:

Those are just precious! I love any valentine’s themed goodies but these take the (cup)cake. So pretty, and looking equally as tasty too. I kinda want one right now, I hope you saved one for me! ;) I think I’m going to have to bake something love day themed now, you’ve given me the baking urge!

****jaw is dropped as I scroll down the page……… AMAZINGGGGG ( love the sprinkle picture :) )

32. Reeni says:

These are so cute! And I love the cherry and almond flavors! I like staying in – the restaurants are usually so crowded.

33. Your process photos and final result look awesome! And, I LOVE your Digital Underground rendition!

34. Lisa says:

These look beautiful and delicious!
    I definitely prefer to eat in on V Day….this year we’re doing crab cakes!

35. Oh my gosh girlie, those cupcakes are GORGEOUS!!

If I were in a relationship, I wouldn’t care if we went out or stayed in…as long as I didn’t have to do the cooking!

36. allieksmith says:

Wooooow! I am like drooling! Sooo yummy looking :) :) MMM! I want to make these for my sweetie now! I usually make heart shaped red velvet cake for v-day !

37. Those cupcakes are the most adorable cupcakes I’ve EVER seen!!!! :)

38. Amy, I love the wrappers! They look super festive! We stay in for V-Day. The idea of a prix-fixe menu & a million people stuffed into a smaller place isn’t our thing. We go on a ski trip every year instead of gifts

39. Elise says:

Wow! These cupcakes look delicious, Amy! I love the way you’ve ‘packaged them’ — and I honestly have to say the fact that they’re angel food cake make them THAT much more appealing (i <3 angel food cake). I'm thinking these are gonna have to be made as valentines for my office mates ;)

40. These are so sweet and pretty, and that frosting looks absolutely dreamy.
    Happy Valentines Day!
    *kisses* HH

41. Tracey says:

I love cupcakes and these look really really good! I would probably eat them all in one sitting.

42. She bakes and she raps too!! Cool, hehe

The cupcakes look super adorable!

Im sort of a kill joy on valentines, but I would much rather stay in and “cook” together ;)

43. Katie says:

These look amazing!! How did I miss this post?!!

I love the pink color and funfetti is the BEST!!!!!!!

Love your bowl too! xo