NOT A DONUT DILEMMA

Donut Collage9

When it comes to donuts and eating a donuts, there is no dilemma there for me.  My answer is always a resounding YES!

So when I came down for breakfast and my husband had taken the donut maker out of the box, I smiled.  I smiled so big my grin touched my ears.

We mixed together an egg, flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla and oil for the donut batter.  Poured some in each donut divot and waited…impatiently!

Donut collage10

My Dad gave me this mini donut maker for Christmas.  (He even wrapped it himself) 🙂  The donuts turned a golden brown color when they were ready to be taken out.

Donut collage11

I made some icing to top the mini mounds with, first a thin sugary glaze.  And some vanilla icing with powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract.  And lastly I melted some chocolate chips, powdered sugar and water together to make a chocolate icing.  All 3 were quite tasty if I do say so myself!

Donut collage 1

Donut collage

Donut collage3

It was fun to candy coat these donuts with sprinkles, sugar crystals, mini chocolate chips and M&M’s.

Donut collage5

The donuts came out easily, they did not stick, thankfully.  Who wants to waste any part of this yummy treat!

Donut collage6

We even slipped in some Ghirardelli chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in the middle of these mini donuts.

Donut collage7

Donut collage8

So that’s the end of my false donut dilemma.  There is no arguement or fight with me when it comes to donuts.

~I heart donuts~

So why the two different spelling of donut/doughnut?  IDK?  Do you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Jersey August 2010 010

Has anyone ever been to Doughnut Plant in NYC?  While visiting NYC this last August, this bakery was on my “must do” list.  I had seen it featured on The Food Network earlier in the year and marked it down as somewhere I wanted to visit someday.

I wouldn’t leave the city until I had visited this little piece of heaven on earth.  They have square doughnuts, oh yes they do, square filled doughnuts!

Some of their flavors include: Blackout, Vanilla Bean, Peanut Butter Blackberry Jam filled, Valrhona Chocolate, Tres Leches, Orange, Carrot Cake, Creme Brulee, Blueberry, Meyer Lemon, Marzipan, Gingerbread, Panettone & Coconut Glaze Coconut Creme.

OMG, how could you pass up that array of scrumptious flavors!!!  I could not.  I think I walked out of there with 6+ doughnuts.  I ate them down so fast that I didn’t take any pictures of them.  How dare I!  But I am not one bit remorseful about it 🙂

New Jersey August 2010 256

New Jersey August 2010 263 As you can see from the picture this is a very small lil bakery.  The space in the front of the store for customers only holds about 10-15 people hence the line out the door.  But let that not deter you.  This is a popular spot as evidenced by another lady taking pictures and I suggest getting there early for the warmest and best selections of doughnuts.  Because once they are gone, they shut their doors!

doughnut plant1 (source)

doughnut plant (source)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is National English Toffee day.  How about making Motherlode Pretzels with toffee coating!  (source)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight we are going to Indianapolis to the Colts playoff game!  Thank you Colts for giving me weekend plans 🙂  GO HORSE!

(Source)

What is and where is your favorite donut store?

If you don’t eat typical yeast and cake donuts, what kind of donuts do you make?

P.S., the Hungry Girl TV show premieres today on The Cooking Channel!

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to NOT A DONUT DILEMMA

1. lindsay says:

oh wow!!! SPRINKLES!!! do they make gluten free ones? I’d drive across america for that. 🙂

2. I haven’t had donuts in ages since I’m gluten-free but I bet I good create something if I had a mini-donut pan like that! Now that’s a dilemma!

I’m not sure why there are two spells for donut.. spell check is underlining donut as wrong and doughnut as correct just fyi 😛

• I don’t know Katie about the spelling, I just spelled it both ways! Oh well. I bet you could create a GF donut recipe and maybe make them in a muffin pan and fill them with something creamy!

3. I wanted that donut maker so bad for Christmas. I don’t know why I didn’t just purchase it. I love Boston Creams the best.

4. First off, GO COLTS!~ Peyton’s got such a depleted squad this year, and the fact that he’s made everything come together like this is really a testament to him as a player and leader.
    (enough man-talk about football).

DONUTS@!!! I wake up on a Saturday morning, and the first thing I see is donuts? Isn’t that the perfect Saturday/Sunday morning meal? And now (since we don’t have any swanky donut shops out here, nor do I have a donut maker) I need to take a trip over to Timmy Horton’s and pick up a 6-pack for both the wife and I…mmmm donuts…

• Ahh, I’ve had Tim Horton’s donuts and they ain’t too shabby! And you are totally right about Peyton and the squad this year. Injury stricken and still kickin!
      Happy weekend and donut eating!

Um, ok, so next time I am in Indiana I am stopping by your place for freshly made donuts! Hahah, I didn’t even know they made at home donut makers. I want one but then I would probably become so obese that people would have to lift me out of my home via crane so I don’t think I will be buying one. However, I will envy yours for now.

I was in NYC TWICE this year and never heard about that donut place–how did I miss that?? Arrrgh. I would totally be all over that carrot cake donut though, sounds tasty!

• Well next trip you plan to NYC, definitely get to Doughnut Plant, you won’t be disappointed in the taste of their product!
      Stop on by sometime, I can whip up a batch of homemade donuts any day of the year!

6. Those are so cutely decorated! and they look so good! i just have a donut pan, not a fancy donut maker!!! how fun 🙂 have fun at the game!

7. Paula Bennett says:

Amy, I’m going to make my donuts today too! I have everything all ready to go for our mid-morning coffee break, minus the coffee. All of your pics made me even more excited to try it! Love, Paula

8. Michelle Brown says:

I have a wicked obsession with glazed cake doughnuts. I’ve been known to stalk them in bakery windows. Until now, I had no idea there was a doughnut maker! Shame on you for sharing this information with me. Now I am feeling compelled to seek one out…there goes my 2011 resolution. 🙂

Great post and yummy too!

9. An at home mini-donut maker? How are you not 300 lbs!?!? I know I would be if I had one of those . . . and now I want one! They are so cute. Whenever I go to a new city, I seek out the cupcakeries, but now I’m craving a peach donut! I can honestly say that I have only ever had a Tim Horton’s donut and had no idea what I’ve been missing!

10. meri says:

I’ve never been a donut fan, but those are so cute! What a fun gadget to have!
    I love all of your variations on them too 🙂

11. I LOVE those darling little doughnuts!! They look so good. Especially the chocolate ones. Those are my doughnuts of choice. We have a fresh bakery by my house in UT that makes unreal doughnuts. You put chocolate on it, I’ll be wanting it…

12. Homemade donuts are impressive enough, but there’s something about the fact that they’re mini that I just love! Yum, yum, yum. I’ll be keeping an eye out for a donut maker, I would love to make my own 🙂

13. oh man why did you post this?!?! hahaha jk jk

THESE LOOK AWESOMEEEE.

14. If you’re going to have a doughnut….you might as well make your own!!!!

I haven’t had one in years…but they always look so delicious 😉

Have fun at the Colts game!

15. Christine says:

Nice! I was wondering if those mini donuts maker would work or not. I see it works perfectly. Now I’m thinking about getting one for myself.

16. Holy smokes girl! I want a donut maker! Yours look like the best donuts ever!
    My friend gave his mom one for christmas! lol

17. My favorite are cake donuts for sure. I’ve seen people use the makers before and think I should look into them- how cool would they be for a weekend breakfast???

And is it weird I spell it both ways? I use them interchangeably. Just like I do with the word “omelet”.

18. Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish says:

My grandma made me homemade donuts as a girl.

They didn’t look anything like this though!

19. MarathonVal says:

I don’t even like donuts, but I love that donut machine!! So adorable!

20. Cakewhiz says:

I have this sudden craving for donuts now….hehe. Those look so soft and totally delish! Love the sprinkles and all the other ways you dressed up your donuts too. I want a donut maker so badly now tooooooo…hehe.
    Btw, awesome blog 😀

21. Cakewhiz says:

Btw, awesome blog 😀

22. doggybloggy says:

my favorite from the donut factory is the dulce de leche – we get one almost every weekend but now this donut maker – this looks like something cool – I need to look into this….

23. Ashley says:

OMG you are an evil temptress! 🙂

24. Mmmm…. donuts. I don’t indulge in them very often, but my absolute favorite are fresh apple cider donuts. These look great too, and it is so great to be able to make them on demand!

25. Hi! Thank you for commenting on my (in)courage post…now Ive found your beautiful blog! Your pics are so beautiful and you obviously have a talent for baking/cooking. Keep up the great job!

26. Whitney says:

Toffee is, hands down, my favorite candy/sweet. I like donuts, too, though. Probably part of any potential sweet tooth problem 🙂

I missed Hungry Girl, I can’t wait to watch it!

27. Susan says:

Ohmygosh, I did not know such a thing as a mini donut maker existed! I want!!! My favourite donut is the chocolate glazed kind from Tim Horton’s. I can’t help it, I’m a Canadian through and through 😉

28. OMG!!! These look awesome!!!1 Amy, I’ve been having trouble with your site loading at work for some reason. They are too cheap to upgrade their software I think. But I’m home now. I can’t believe I almost missed this post!!!

29. Wow! I’ve never made donuts before. Now I want that donut maker! Haha! I love all your colorful sprinkles!

I don’t eat them very often, but I LOVE cake donuts…doesn’t matter the flavor, just hand them over! But you can totally keep the yeast ones…ick!