Aromatic Homemade Yeast Rolls

Can’t you smell them now!

Warm yeast rising in the heat~

My mom seems to make homemade yeast rolls several times a year.   And my favorite part is punching the dough down after it has risen for the first time.  ~~POW~~

MOM’S YEAST ROLLS

• 2 pkgs. active dry yeast (Fleischmann’s)
  • 1/4 c. really warm water
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 5-6 c. flour

Scald the milk in a small sauce pan and then add the sugar and the butter and let cool for a little while. Meanwhile dissolve the yeast in the warm water until completely dissolved. Don’t have the water too hot or it will kill the yeast, too cool and it won’t dissolve. I just use hot tap water. Place the milk mixture in a large mixing bowl when it has cooled. Add the salt and the beaten eggs. Then add the yeast mixture.

Next start adding the flour. Only add 2 c. to begin with and mix well, then add one c. at a time until it is hard to mix with a spoon and not too dry. You want it to be a little sticky.

Then dump onto floured countertop and knead it for about 5-10 minutes until it is pretty smooth. Then place it in a buttered bowl, fairly large, so it can raise. Place it in a warm, draft-free spot to raise. This will take about 1-2 hours depending on the area it is raising in.

When it is doubled in size, punch ~~POW~~ the dough.  Then make each roll into whatever design you want to. I usually make cloverleaf rolls which is where I take enough dough for one roll and divide it into 3 small balls and place each one in a muffin pan. You can also make them in 2 13×9 pans too, I just like the individual rolls.

Now, you need to let them raise again until rolls are just about doubled in size, this rising will be faster than the first one, about 30-45 minutes. Cover the rolls with a very light weight towel so they don’t dry out while raising.

You can also brush them with melted butter before baking too. Bake them at 350 for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

Enjoy!  Makes 24 rolls

When they come out of the oven brush with melted butter.

Don’t they look warm and delicious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever made any homemade rolls?

What is your favorite homemade roll recipe?

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Aromatic Homemade Yeast Rolls

1. Samantha says:

Yum! I have never made homemade rolls or bread; I a domestically challenged slightly 🙂 It is on my to do list for this Spring or Summer whenever work isn’t so busy. I can image these would be perfect with butter!

2. Melissa says:

I am going to have to make these this weekend! Can’t wait!

3. Cassandra says:

Yum, I love homemade bread and rolls.

4. I need to get some patience so I can start making bread-love the smell of bread baking!!!!

5. These look fantastic! There is nothing like homemade bread warm from the oven. This recipe looks really good and I look forward to making them. ( after seeing this I will probably make them really soon! )

6. I cant bake dessert to save my life so i’m not sure how I would do with bread! But it looks sooooooo good! I’ve got to try at least once or twice! =)

xoxo

7. these look great! bookmarked them 😉

8. I’m so scared to make rolls and bread because I’ll mess it up. It’s really a fear I need to get over because yours always look so good.

9. I made my first rolls just before Christmas..parmesan thyme from Cooking Light and they turned out so flippin’ fantastic! And it wasn’t hard at all…major win!

10. Holli says:

I used to love when my mom made homemade rolls and bread…. these look SO good.

11. A Tablespoon of Liz says:

These look so good. There is nothing like homemade bread. I also love punching down the dough!

12. Oh my gosh! Those look amazing! I love yeast rolls, but I’ve never made them myself due to my fear of baking with yeast! I am trying to get over it though…maybe trying these would help!

13. Jill says:

oh YUMMY!! add a little honey to that butter and i’m in heaven!

14. Hey Sweets! I’ll be posting my olive oil rosemary foccaccia bread soon! These look incredible!! Thanks for another good one.

15. Simply Life says:

Oh wow, these look DELICIOUS! I love making my own rolls and am loving this idea of using the muffin tin!

16. Never made myself some homemade dough but I may want to now just so I can punch it. haha just kidding. But that looks so good and toasty!

17. OliePants says:

I’m terrified of yeast and baking bread but I have to say that you’re making me start my motivation!

18. Mmmm! Those look awesome! I love how they are like little puff clouds!
    I have not found a GF roll recipe I am please with yet :(((

19. They do indeed look incredible. I want bread so bad, this weekend, I think I’m going to make some bread. Hope yours is wonderful. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!
    -Gina-

20. crazylittlethingneela says:

Wow these look wonderful!
    I am sure they taste fantastic with butter and jam for breakfast!
    I have to try and make some myself

21. Erika Beth says:

My mom would always let me punch the dough when I was little too! 🙂

22. Yep!! I can smell them and they are making me swoon. I had to laugh about you liking to punch down the dough, my son has done that since he was little and even does it to this day! Love these!

23. Maryann says:

I have never made homemade rolls but I love your step by step instructions! They look great!!

24. lindsay says:

punch that yeast girl! Love doing that. SO warm and gooey! The smell really is the best.
    😉

25. theUngourmet says:

I’ve never made my own rolls but I’ve always wanted to try. Your rolls look fantastic! I love your step by step photos.

26. GirlonRaw says:

Bread is the one thing I have not yet made and am keen to do so really soon. Your yeast rolls do look pretty good.

I’m afraid to make bread at home since I could see it becoming an addiction. But you make it look so easy I would be stupid not to try it yes?!

One of my coworkers has a recipe for the Red Lobster Cheesey Biscuits. That alone would be the end of me.

28. Tanya says:

Hello!
    We have posted this recipe In “What’s for Dinner” group on Face book. I think you should be part of the group. You have some incredible talent….very artistic 🙂
    Tanya

29. secelia says:

The best rolls I’ve ever made. Thanks for posting recipe!