At His Request

January dinner 023

So what do you do when your husband makes a request for dinner?

YOU MAKE IT, of course, all the while saying “yes dear, I can and I will!”

That’s what happened when he asked me if I would make the special chicken nuggets that my mom makes.

My mom bakes the best chicken nuggets.  And ever since my husband and I started dating (back in high school) she has made these delicious little meaty nuggets full of flavor for us.  It’s just one of her special meals she likes to make for us when we are down home visiting.  And while mine did not turn out like hers, they were still yummy and my husband enjoyed his meal.

As a side to the nuggets I put some broccoli and red onions in my Pampered Chef steamer and steamed it in the microwave.

January dinner 001

Nuggets

In a baggie I placed 1 package of Lipton onion soup mix and some italian bread crumbs.  That’s what makes these chicken nuggets so flavorful and wanted!  Cut chicken breasts into small pieces, moisten with water or milk and shake to coat with the soup mix and bread crumbs in a large baggie. {{SHAKE}}

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. to 1 hour depending on how big your nuggets are.

January dinner 002

Yum, steamed fresh broccoli and red onions!

January dinner 004

Getting ready to toast this nutty whole wheat bread slathered with buttah~  This is the second loaf of this bread we’ve had recently.  We also enjoyed it when my husband made me dinner, see here.

January dinner 005

Whole wheat couscous in the house!

January dinner 006

Toasted nutty, crunchy, buttery bread, just the way I like it!

January dinner 010

Voila, the chicken nuggets are baked to perfection!  Crispy and hot!

January dinner 012

Eat more chikin as the cows at Chick-Fil-A say!

January dinner 013 January dinner 014

And…the full dinner plate is born!  Crispy chicken nuggets, buttery nutty bread and couscous with broccoli and sweet onions!

January dinner 017   January dinner 020 January dinner 021

January dinner 023January dinner 025January dinner 024

I started taking pictures before I finished topping the broccoli with some feta cheese.  I just love that stuff and it added just a great savory flavor to the broccoli  couscous!

Hooray for feta cheese!

January dinner 029 January dinner 030 January dinner 031 January dinner 032 January dinner 033 January dinner 034

The next logical thing to have after such a great meal like the one above is something sweet.  Sweet as in dessert.

I’ll take dessert after any meal, even breakfast.  That is not wrong.

January dinner 035

January dinner 008  January dinner 009January dinner 042

And then there was DESSERT!  As in frozen, sweet, sinful dessert.

January dinner 038

So we perused the pantry and came up with our own toppings for our frozen Rice Dream.

I chose mini M&M’s and sliced almonds.  My husband had cut up York peppermint patties.

January dinner 039 January dinner 040

Mint chocolate chip is his favorite flavor of ice cream, so no wonder he chose to have peppermints sprinkled on top!

January dinner 037 January dinner 042

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So while we have alot of snow and ice on the ground outside, I am enjoying the sunshine peeking in and the warmth on the inside!!!  🙂

Ok, so can anyone tell me what is wrong with my camera when it has the same shadow in every picture at the bottom?

If you were to look in your pantry right now and pick topping for your bowl of frozen yogurt or ice cream, what would you choose?

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to At His Request

1. Ashley says:

That chicken looks fabulous, my girls would love it. Can you share the recipe?

Ok so this is going to sound really done but is your shutter not closing or opening all the way? I know mine does that when cover won’t open completely and I have a bit of a shadow. But then again, I am no Ansel Adams.

Thanks for telling us what the meal was! When I first saw it, I was like “What is all this??” but now it sounds absolutely delish. I love the french onion soup mix that you throw into there–can we say yummy? And the bread? I could eat the entire loaf and be a happy gal 🙂

I have some pumpkin syrup sitting in my cupboard that I need to break into soon!

Testing this since my huge comment I just left didn’t go through!

Of course when I type one line! Ok so I am going to try to remember all I said

A) That bread looks amazing–what is it, did you make it?
    B) When I saw the first pic of the meal I thought “Umm, I hope she explains what exactly this meal is b/c I can’t tell” 🙂
    C) I love love love the idea of the french onion mix on the chicken, sounds different but it also sounds like it would be really good!
    D) I have some pumpkin ice cream syrup I need to break into soon
    E) No clue about the shadow but mine sometimes does that when the cover doesnt close or open all the way. But then again, I’m no Ansel Adams
    F) I dont know why I chose to comment in this format but something different never hurts right?

• Love it Tiffany!
      My husband bought that bread at Kroger bakery, some wheat nut variety. The french onion soup mix on nuggets is wonderful, try it!!! Pumpkin syrup sounds intriguing 🙂
      I am the farthest thing from a camera pro. Funny thing is it only does it off and on, not all the time, weird!

5. my hubby likes to request homemade chicken nuggets as well 🙂 i don’t use onion soup mix in mine, but that might add a nice touch 🙂

6. Oh my goodness. I am seriously wondering the same exact thing about my camera so if you find out let me know. I think it may have something to do with needing a lense that focuses for more close up shots…ie food.

Your chicken nuggets look just as good as chickfila! nom nom nom.

7. Man, I have had chicken nuggets in forevah! Don’t you just LOVE your pampered chef steamer? When my microwave was working, I would use that thing everyday. So quick and easy. I’ve even steamed a whole chicken breast in like 5 minutes with it!

That buttery bread looks amazing! I love nutty textured bread!

Is that last pic of your living room? It’s gorgeous! LOVE the color!!

I love topping my ice cream with peanut butter sauce and bananas and dark chocolate chips!

• Oh, I’ve never thought of putting meat in that steamer, now you’ve got a great idea there! THanks for sharing!
      The last picture is of the sitting area in my kitchen, love it with the low silver couch 🙂

8. Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish says:

That Pampered Chef steamer looks amazing! Somebody is always hosting a party at my work, I guess I know what I’m ordering at the next one!

9. I love making nuggets too! Since I’m gluten intolerant I use different types of gluten free cereals mixed with cheese and spices to get a nice flavor!

Nowww a topping for my ice cream: I actually have some hot fudge in the fridge because my husband and I made sundaes a few weekends ago– so I’d pick that. Oh and I’d slice a banana too!

10. Holli says:

Your dinner looked great and I love your house! Very nicely decorated! Your camera issue….. you are using the flash and you are standing with your overhead light behind you most likely and it’s picking up your shape and casting a shadow. I rarely use my flash but if you need to I would suggest taking the picture crouched down more level to the plate instead of standing over it……. 🙂

11. Maybe there is a smudge or something on the lens? Maybe try cleaning it? Love chicken nuggets!! You did a great job. I love M&Ms for my ice cream topping, and crushed up oreos.

12. I love the feta on the broccoli! Why have I not done that yet?!

13. The nuggets look like Chick-fil-a! too cute! and the onion soup mix idea is really awesome!

I pour a crap-ton of cayenne into the nuggets I make my husband and wait for him to notice =) ahah! I’m mean but he loves it!

Have a great weekend!

14. Those chicken nuggets look super tasty! 🙂

I love fruit (blueberries, strawberries and bananas are my favs) for icecream toppings! 🙂

15. I’ve never thought to make chicken nuggets – those look soo good. Hmm, I’d definitely pick Peanut Butter & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams PB as an ice cream topper. or straight outta the jar, I’m not picky 🙂

16. Hehe, I love those Chick-Fil-A cows! 🙂 One topping?! I would pick almonds. definitely almonds.

I love your blog! I just subscribed! 🙂

17. My favorite topping or mix-in for ice cream is a big spoonful of peanut butter! 🙂

18. kbwood says:

oh this looks awesome! anything thats like chickfila sounds great to me!

19. Annie says:

Who doesn’t love chicken nuggets? I usually use Oven Fry, but I’ll try this next time! As far as the shadow, it looks like you are a) either too close to the subject you are shooting/have the wrong angle b) have your hand around the lens? c) something is up with your flash, not sure.

20. K. Rock says:

Just found your blog and it’s really cute!! I am definitely going to try that chicken.