Winter Avalanche

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 100

I know, I’m whipping out treats from my sugar factory like I am Willy Wonka’s sidekick or something.  But you secretly know you love it!

Winter.  You either love it or you hate it.  Or you don’t experience it, depending on where you live.

Where I live in the Midwest, some of our winters can be really harsh with lots of snow, wind chills below zero and ice.

You know, the kind of cold that freezes your nose hairs.  Yikes!  Don’t laugh.  It happens.

So I always end up baking more in these frigid months because I like the warmth inside my home.

My dad’s birthday was the perfect reason to bake up these crispy crunchy sweet treats!

I made these along with 2 other treats to serve for my Dad’s birthday:  Nutella Candy Bars, & Reese’s Fudge Sandwich Cookies.

Dad's Birthday 2011 001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is like the backwards way to make Rice Krispie treats.  You add the marshmallows last, not first.

White chocolate and peanut butter melted and mixed in a bowl with Rice Krispies!

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 007 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 008

Creamy and gooey peanut butter~

Light and airy Rice Krispies~

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 009 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 010

Pour’em in and stir.  Take a spoon and taste the mixture!

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 011 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 012

Let the mixture cool.  Then add these fluffy white pillows!

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 013

Into the mix goes the mini chocolate chips~

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 014 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 015

You can place the mix in a pan, shape of your choice or make these avalanche mounds like I did~

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 016 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 017

I thought it would be great to make individual avalanche mounds instead of a bar that I had to cut~

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 018 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 019

And for a cute touch to the top of the avalanche, I added a Hershey’s Cookies’n’Creme drop~

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 006

And goodness ensues.

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 062 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 063  Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 064Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 065 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 066 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 067

Peanut buttery, white chocolaty, crunchy, marshmallowy, gooey treat to munch on!

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 068 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 069 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 070   Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 073 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 071

AVALANCHE

12 oz bag of white chocolate chips

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

3 cups Rice Krispies

1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

1/4 cup mini chocolate chips + 2 Tbsp for garnish.

Lightly grease a 9×9 pan (or 8×8 if you prefer thicker bars) or whatever pan you want to use

1.  In microwave-safe bowl dump in white chips and heat on med power for 1 minute.  Stir and continue in 30 second increments until chips are melted.

2.  Combine the peanut butter with the melted chips

3.  Add the Krispies.

4.  Let cool approx 15 – 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so to help cool.

5.  Add the marshmallows and the mini chocolate chips and stir to combine.

6.  Dump mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly, pressing lightly with the back of your spoon, but do not compact too much, otherwise they will get hard.

7.  Press the remaining chocolate chips into the top for garnish.

When the bars are completely cooled cut into squares and enjoy!

From the Cookies and Cups blog~

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 072 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 075 Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 076

Go.  Now.  Make these.  You know you want to!

Dad's Birthday Baking 2011 077

Bite.  Munch.  Crunch.

I just have to show you this new tea that I found!  Tea with the flavor of White Chocolate Kisses, YUM!

Are you buried in snow where you live?

Do you love the snow or despise it?

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Winter Avalanche

1. Natalie says:

lol you’ve been killing me these last few days with all these mouth watering sweets!!! love it!!

It’s snowing again here for probably the 30th day in a row lol… i take that back we had one day were the temps hit 40, then everything iced that night… but we’ve just been catching the edges of all the storms…

I can’t lie, as long as I’m not stuck driving in it I adore the snow… 🙂

I need to find that tea stat–I love white chocolate. That being said, I have to make avalanches. I never heard of them before but think it’s a cute name.

We only get snow here once or twice a year but when we do, everyone freakss out b/c I’m in the south. I say bring it on–I’m all for snow!

3. you never cease to amaze me with your treats. i wish i was at this party!!

4. oh man, i just showed my fiance the picture of the avalanches with a promise to make them soon. (i’m pretending it’s for him, but i’m seriously so excited to try these!).

5. I love baking in the winter to warm up the house too! And these babies are calling my name!!

6. Oh my gosh I need to find that tea!! I’m a midwest girl too, so we have a lot of snow too! We’re not to the buried status–but I’m definitely over snow for the season! I’m ready for flowers and grass!

7. I had no idea those hershey’s candies existed! They look fantastic!

I love variations on rice krispie treats. One of my favorite recipes is scotcheroos- that have a chocolate/butterscotch topping…

So over the snow. Can’t wait to get some spring air up in my part of the world!

8. These look phenomenal!! I’m not a fan of the snow at all. Chicago’s covered right now too 😦

9. so cute; I love the action shot!

PS: YAY YOU FOR CLEANING AFTER THE INLAWS! you clean! you do it! go! go, go!

That picture of peanut butter…. makes me melt haha

11. Now milk chocolate and peanut butter is really good, but white chocolate and PB?! This might be close to heaven for me! Perfect excuse to use the leftover Rice Crispies from the Better-Than-Crack Brownies I made a week or so ago. 🙂

I know better than to come to your blog without eating so I just had lunch 😛 Those rice krispie treats look insane. You are welcome anytime at my house! We get one season all year round lol Now it’s considered chilly in Miami and its in the 60’s!

13. Oh em gee those look amazing. Snow is everywhere in NYC and I pretty much hate it. Mostly because it has become giant dirty puddles at every street corner and ruined my most favorite pair of Frye boots. BOO!

Not buried in snow, but there is some on the ground:) I like snow for the most part, but I hate brushing it off my car and shoveling. Blahhhh.

15. I love how you used cupcake pans to shape them!!! SO SMART!!! 🙂

16. I am pretty sure that I need those cookies and cream bites! All time favorite candy bar made for baking?! Yes please!

17. I like the first snow fall…and then i’m over it!
    You are so stinkin creative!!!! Love those!

• Thanks Kristina! We are getting pelted with ice and snow tonight and the next 2 days. It took me forever to get the ice scraped off my car tonight so I could get home from work. Bring on Spring!

18. Me again! I’m so in love with all of your sweets! Would you at all be interested in guest blogging and sharing a Valentine-theme sweet? I’m doing “Seven {days of} Sweets for your Sweetheart” the week before Valentine’s Day.

(I didn’t see an email to contact you at)

19. Allison says:

Ahhhhh your site is always bringing me in and convincing me to make yummy sweets!!! I am not yet buried in snow but expect that i will be tonight. Chicago is supposed to be dumped on!

• Thanks Allison!
      We are getting covered in ice right now. It took me forever to get the ice scraped off my car so I could get home from work tonight and my hand froze while doing it. Spring Fever!

20. Well these just look fabulous! Girl, you are so creative!

21. These look so pretty! Um I want to go out and find some cookies and creme drops ASAP. And that white chocolate tea!

22. Katherine says:

Those avalanches look delicious! I want to make them. Too bad I don’t have the ingredients. My town is calling for a winter blizzard and people are flocking to all of the grocery stores. I will have to bookmark it for another time. Yum!!

• Oh girl, your puppies sound cute! I have two sharpeis named Journey and Ripley. They are just too gosh darn cute!
      We are getting major ice pile up now. I got frostbite on my hand while trying to scrape all the ice off my windshield so I could get home from work tonight. Spring Fever!

23. Reeni says:

What heavenly little treats! I’d like to pop one – or ten – in my mouth right now!

24. Raya says:

I grew up in upstate NY so I totally know you’re not kidding about your nose hairs freezing!! Sometimes I would wait for the bus in the morning with wet hair and my hair would freeze too!! I definitely do not miss the snow. Although it would be fun, one week a year or so, to go on a ski trip-ski/snowboard/sled during the day, and warm up in a nice log cabin at night. But after a week I’m done!!!

25. Wow that tea sounds absolutely fabulous…

And those avalanches look awesome! I bought some of those cookies & cream drops to make cookies for my brother, since those are his favorite candy bar 😉 Haven’ tposted about them yet but they were really just normal chocoalte chip cookies with some of those little drops in them. They’re kind of addicting though…

26. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂
    These treats look absolutely amazing! Time for me to go out and buy some Rice Krispies ASAP!

27. Wow this is taking these to a whole new level. They look awesome! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

28. OMG! You have to stop this madness! I’m drooling.

29. I love rice crispy treats, and this fancy version looks amazing! These would disappear far too quickly in my house.

30. I live in the Midwest too, and only like snow when I don’t have to drive in it! 🙂
    I add peanut butter to some rice krispy treats the other day, it was delicious! I can’t wait to add chocolate the next time!

31. oatsandspice says:

All of the treats look deliciousssss YUM

I love your blog – it is so cute! I can’t wait to keep reading… I just started blogging about 2 months ago – it is extremely addicting 🙂 Take a look at it if you get a chance: http://www.oatsandspice.wordpress.com

32. I swear you are going to make me gain 100 lbs!! I feel like I always say that to you but you seriously are haha.
    All of your treats always look amazing and this one is no exception 🙂 Im going to have my boyfriend visit your blog and decide what I should make this weekend!

33. Kayla says:

These look heavenly!!! Love all the photos! Also, they make cute little “muffins”!

34. Katie says:

I seriously need to come to your house and we can have a baking party! U are never ending with these amazing treats!!!

I have been looking for that tea ! sounds amazing! xo

35. haha i about died laughing when i read the line about freezing nose hairs! you really are a midwestern girl : ) and the hershey’s cookies & creme drops!?!?! where did you find those? i’ll put my boots on right now and walk to go find them. you should’ve seen me growing up – i probably ate a cookies and creme candy bar daily (x2)…

great blog. i’m adding you to my favorites!

• Why thank you!
      We got an inch of ice last night and now it is icing hard again. What gives, geesh?!
      I found the cookies-n-cream bites at Kroger. They also have chocolate drops and mini Reese’s in the same packaging/line. So good!
      My eyelids are going to ice shut around here!

36. These look sooo sooo sooooooo yummy!

37. Those Avalanche Rice Krispie treats look so good! I like the idea of putting them into muffin tins.
    Where I live we had a few nice days of weather then got covered in snow on the weekend! It was still really cold this morning but now its warming up again.
    Remarkably this happens all the time here.

38. Kat says:

I especially love the addition of the Cookies ‘n Cream Drops! What a lovely treat! I’ve basically been dying to bake-it-out so maybe I’ll try bringing these bad boys to the Superbowl party we’ll be at this weekend.

39. These look amazing! I’m in florida so no snow but I wouldn’t mind one of these avalanches!

40. I love the idea of shaping the avalanche in a muffin tin. So much cuter than cutting them into bars. Your taco pie looks really good, too.

We don’t have as much snow as I would like–the storms keep skipping over us, and giving us “fringe” snow. It has been super cold, though. I’ve been baking like crazy, too. I just love the smell and the warmth.

41. Imwaytoobusy says:

Oh, you must have been popular at that party! I love it! 😉 I’m a Midwesterner, too. Spring cannot come soon enough!

42. What a fun, sweet treat! I could totally eat about 8 of them right now – ha! 🙂

43. Kelli says:

I can’t find that tea anywhere down here):