It’s A Hot Cocoa Kind Of Day

12-15-10 008 I love hot cocoa on a blustery cold winter day!  It is hot, it is chocolate and it is sweet.  All the things I love 🙂

And it gets even better with these vanilla snowmen marshmallows on top!

I may or may not have melted one or two of  those Hershey Kisses in my mug too!

12-15-10 002

French Vanilla Marshmallows, YUMMY!

12-15-10 003 12-15-10 004

The snowmen have wonderfully sweet vanilla scented airiness that makes them perfect for eating on their own too!

12-15-10 006

I have made my own marshmallows before.  And they were really good!  It was a sticky and gooey mess, but at least I did it and had good results.  My mom got me this book all about homemade marshmallows and after I drooled all over the pages, I decided to try making my own.  But first I had to buy a candy thermometer as I didn’t own one before.

marshmallows 001 marshmallows 002

Ta-da, the finished product.  Puffed and lightweight, sweet and sugary, rich and wonderful.

I can’t promise you that I didn’t have the marshmallow all over my fingers.  It was a good way for me to taste test anyway.

homemade marshmallows 001 homemade marshmallows 002 homemade marshmallows 003

The flavors I made were vanilla marshmallow and then chocolate swirled marshmallows.  They were delicious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is your hot drink of choice; coffee, tea, or cocoa?

Do you like marshmallows and have you ever made your own?

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to It’s A Hot Cocoa Kind Of Day

I was just thinking last night that it has been a long time since I’ve had a really good, satisfying cup of hot cocoa-way to read my mind!

I didnt know they had vanilla marshmellows–when did that happen??!! I heard about making your own before but didnt know how the process would work. I think it would be super messy but yours look cute (of course because everything you bake does). I have limited kitchen space then add clumsy into that and I think I will stick to buying them from the store!

• I hope you find some great marshmallows to put in it too! In the stores they have vanilla snowmen, strawberry hearts and chocolate swirled ones. My mom and I were eating them out of the freezer this morning at her house, so good frozen!

2. Cocoa is the perfect antidote to the winter blues. And homemade marshmallows are perfect to soak up the chocolately goodness. Can you share the recipe?

Oh myy!! I love homemade marshmallows but have only made them ONCE because no body in my family likes marshmallows except me (they are Craazzzyy!) Vanilla flavored ones sound so delicious though, I’m going to have to try that! (or at the very least get some of the packaged ones at the store!) I love hot chocolate days!

• My mom and I love marshmallows. We were eating frozen strawberry marshmallows from the freezer this morning at her house! STrawberrry ones are in the stores now. And they are great frozen!

4. I like marshmallows but since they’re not vegetarian I haven’t been eating them…but we have a chili cook off coming up at work and with chili I always make cornbread and honey butter, whose secret ingredient is marshmallow fluff. I picked up some rice mellow fluff as I was wandering whole foods! I did not no such thing existed but maybe there is also a recipe for vegetarian marshmallows out there…I’m going to have to check now=)

5. marla says:

Looks like you had soooo much fun with these. Gotta get that marshmallow book. I posted peppermint marshmallows this winter – they were so fun to make!

6. J.Flo says:

I am totally getting these marshmallows!!! I LOVE all hot beverages, most recently, apple cider- Yum! I want to try and make peppermint marshies!

7. Amy says:

Hello! I’m a new reader and follower! Just wanted to pop in and say I love all of your Longaberger! My Mother is a consultant so my home is teaming with all the fun pottery! Mostly ebony and ivory!!! I also have tried a couple of your recipes! I mentioned you in one of my blog posts yesterday and linked to your blog regarding the Chile Chicken Chowder! Hope you don’t mind!

Many Blessings!

Amy

• Amy-Thank you so much for mentioning me on your blog! I hope you enjoyed the chile chicken chowder too 🙂
      I had a Longaberger wedding shower back in 1998 when I got married but have since gotten rid of almost all my baskets as my decorating styles changed. But I do love their pottery and have all of it!
      Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend 🙂

Yum that hot cocoa looks divine! I’m a coffee drinker but I love hot cocoa. Too bad it’s too hot here to be making hot cocoa lol And I’ve never made marshmallows but they are yummy to eat 😀

9. Hot Chocolate all the way girl. 🙂

Your homemade marshmellows look FABulous!!! That is such a great idea to make them yourself. 🙂

10. Holli says:

Great food for a cold wintry day!

11. surlykitchen says:

love the mini snowmen marshmallows. so cute!

12. I heart marshmallow fluff. And if you’re ever feeling crazy, look into marshmallow buttercream- it is so amazing!!!! (I used it on s’more cupcakes)

Sorry to hear about the snow on top of ice… ugh!

13. Monet says:

The cold weather in Austin would make hot chocolate just about perfect. Thank you for reminding me of how much I love the stuff! And I also LOVED your homemade marshmallows. So cute. Thank you for sharing, my friend!

14. Ooh, you are so right. Today is definitely a hot cocoa kinda day!

15. It’s definitely not a hot chocolate day here, but it still sounds good! 🙂

16. Kathleen says:

I cannot remember the last time I had hot chocolate! That’s sad! 😦 My favorite hot drink would have to be a latte. I wish I knew how to make my own, because they are splendid and warm the belly right up. Plus, they go with all sorts of delicious breakfast pastries. 😉

17. Your homemade marshmallows are great!

18. I have one cup of coffee in the morning, but I guess I would call myself a definite hot tea fiend! I drink decaf herbal tea all day long (mostly to stay warm these past few days)! I really have to be in the mood for marshmallows, but that being said, I would NEVER turn down s’mores! 😉 I’ve never made my own, but I have a few bookmarked recipes! I’d like to make my own grahams and do it up right!

19. Coffee is definitely my fave, but I love a little touch of mocha in there. Never made my own marshmallows before! Sounds like it would be fun though.

20. Stephanie Head says:

I have become addicted to the gourmet marshmallows from a company called 240 Sweet. They’re from our own Columbus Indiana. I found them at a farmers market this summer and will admit, I panic when I only have a package or 2 left! Very special flavors,combos and seasonal tastes. I’m hoping you’ll check them out because I thought they would be great in a recipe or two….As always, I really enjoy your blog! Stay warm….

21. My new favorite is an almond chai latte, but your hot chocolate is making me drool!

22. rebecca says:

i love all tea coffee and hot choc wow how cool you made marshmellow

23. Having been born in brazil and raised in Seattle… I’m a coffee girl through adn through 😉

But this delightfully festive post made me smile! 🙂 I love hot cocoa on occasion as well… And I’m a huge marshmallow fan 😉

24. I’m not super crazy about marshmallows but I do like them in cocoa! 🙂 Those look so pretty, not sure if I’ll ever make homemade ones, but who knows, anything is possible in my kitchen. 🙂

25. LauraJayne says:

It looks like we’re about to have a hot cocoa type of day here too – I’m going to head to the store to stock up before the snow!

26. claire says:

i just happened upon your blog from sweet treats and more- Gorgeous cupcakes!

thanks for sharing! love your blog and cant wait to start following you!