Grape Nut Pudding ~ With A Twist Of Lemon

Grape nut

Do you like Grape Nuts cereal?  I love cereal, all kinds, Grape Nuts being one of them.

Have you ever baked with Grape Nuts?

A delicious blend of whole wheat and barley, 100% natural.  Plus packed with tons of fiber.

This pudding cake is enjoyed in my family by 3 generations.  My Grandma started making this dessert years ago and while I do not have her recipe, I’ve tried to find one similar.

I love this pudding cake straight out of the oven when it’s warm and saucy on the bottom.  However it is good out of the fridge the next day too.

Let the lemon pudding cake baking bonanza begin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1-21-11 UGLI 017

Ingredients.  I used Splenda sugar blend and whole wheat flour as substitutions for regular sugar and flour.

1-21-11 UGLI 019

The pudding mixture in one bowl and the egg white beaten in another bowl~

1-21-11 UGLI 021

Beating the egg whites~

1-21-11 UGLI 022

Beat the egg whites until light and fluffy~

1-21-11 UGLI 023

The pudding cake is baked in a pan of hot water.  I don’t know why!

1-21-11 UGLI 024

And it comes out of the oven set and lightly browned on top~

1-21-11 UGLI 048

1-21-11 UGLI 049

1-21-11 UGLI 051

The cake bakes in to two separate layers.  A Grape Nut spiked cake on top and a lemony pudding layer on bottom~

1-21-11 UGLI 055

1-21-11 UGLI 056

Grape Nuts Pudding

1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 eggs, separated
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. Grape Nuts cereal
1 c. milk

Cream butter with sugar and lemon rind. Add egg yolks, beat until light and fluffy. Blend in lemon juice, flour, cereal and milk. Beat egg whites until they form peaks, fold into pudding mixture. Pour into greased 1 quart baking dish. Set dish in pan of hot water. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The baked pudding will have 2 layers. Serve warm or chilled.

Recipe from Cooks.com

I used Splenda sugar blend and whole wheat flour in mine.

1-21-11 UGLI 057

Grape Nuts cake mounds with lemony pudding on top~

1-21-11 UGLI 058

1-21-11 UGLI 061

A warm, two layer pudding cake with creamy lemon sauce on the bottom~

Grape nuts 1

If you think you will like this pudding, check out another luscious lemon pudding cake that I made here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scottsdale December 2010 038

When asked if you want lemon in your water, do you say yes or no?

If you could have a lemon tree in your back yard, would you?

Have you ever lightened your hair with lemon juice?

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Grape Nut Pudding ~ With A Twist Of Lemon

1. I love all types of cereal, too and Grape Nuts are really good! Such a cool idea to make a pudding with them!! 🙂

2. surlykitchen says:

i love grape nuts. i can’t wait to try this. is it a dessert or could it be breakfast?

3. I LOVE Grape Nuts! I’ve never baked with them before. I love your idea to make them into a pudding; I’ve only added them to yogurt — it gives it a nice crunch. Do the Grape Nuts keep their crunch in the pudding?

4. I always request lemon in my water!

5. I lighten my hair with lemon every summer. My hair is strawberry blonde, so the lemon just gives it some highlights. Love it!

6. Holli says:

I always love the questions at the end of your posts! Yes if I’m asked I’ll take lemon in my water…. I don’t know that I like lemons enough to have a tree in my backyard but I do love their scent…. and of course I’ve used lemon juice to lighten my hair back when I was a teen. it never worked well though! LOL

7. amazing use for grape nuts! ohmygosh! It looks so yummy! =)

8. That looks sooo good! I would have never thought to use grapenuts in a dessert 🙂

My parents have a lemon tree in their backyard that produces a ridiculous amount of lemons every year–I wish we lived closer to them so I could help take some of the excess of their hands!

9. Faith says:

I’ve had grape nut long time ago and I forgot how good it tasted until I looked at yours! I love this pudding. Should try to make it pretty soon. It looks so yummy.

10. I love bready like puddings and I think this qualifies!

Love the smell of lemon and wouldn’t toss the tree out if it was in my backyard!

11. You always make things that I would never think of making or have tried look SO SO good. I have never even tried Grape Nut – are there different flavors, if so which is your favorite before I buy!

12. Yum! This looks so light and tasty!

13. I love just about any kind of pudding type recipe! I always say yes to lemon in my water and would love a lemon tree in my backyard! I’ve never tried straight lemon in my hair, but I’ve tried sun-in with not so glamourous results. Eeeek

14. I’ve never tried grape nut cereal before, but now I want to!

I always get lemon in my water. A little burst of vitamin C is worth it.

I would so have a lemon tree in my backyard if I could!

15. Although I don’t care for Grape Nuts as a cold cereal, I suppose baking with it would soften it up and not tear up my mouth! Great post!

You always come up with such clever recipes lol I’m always majorly impressed 😀

17. MegSmith says:

This is one of the most creative recipes I have ever seen! This is awesome…and totally on my to-do list now. I love lemons, my Grandma has a lemon tree in her backyard and I could eat them like oranges I swear!

P.S. you bake it in a water bath to keep the custard smooth and to prevent overcooking (curdling)

I’ve never heard of this before but I’m intrigued! I am always up for something different and it looks like the perfect thing to gobble up on a cold night!

I love love love lemons. I usually ask for four or five of them at restaurants and love lemon water. I lived in FL and am used to having lemon trees at my disposal, I would totally have one if possible.

19. Sophia says:

Guess what? I DO have a lemon tree in my backyard, and I love it! I’m always baking lemon pound cakes during special occasions. 🙂

I recently tried this ice-cream called “Brown Bread ice-cream” from a local ice-cream store, and it’s this milky concoction with Grape Nuts! I think you’ll absolutely love it.

20. I’ve never had Grape Nuts before, but this recipe really makes me want to try them!

Mmmm, this looks really yummy. I’m visiting from {in}courage as a new follower…stop by and return the favor.

22. Charlie says:

Yum! This sounds so yummy! I love grape nut cereals!

23. Pat Duncan says:

What is the ratio for splenda vs sugar? Oh and by the way, I remember my mom making this when I was a kid (many, many years ago)