Baked Tortilla Chips-n-Hummus~Snack Time

Tortilla

Here’s how the story goes…

One fine, rare day I was allowed to go home from work early.  By early, I mean 3 hours early.  When you work 12 hour shift, that’s a big deal!  It took me twice as long to get home with all the new fallen fresh snow, but that’s besides the point.

I got home mid to late afternoon and I was hungry.  I knew I had a fresh container of hummus in the fridge, I just needed something to dip in to it.

Bam!  In comes the idea to bake some tortilla shells into crispy tortilla chips.

1-21-11 UGLI 025

I cut up these Ole high fiber wheat tortillas into small bite-size wedges~

1-21-11 UGLI 028

I baked the tortillas in a 350 degree oven for between 20-25 minutes until lightly browned~

1-21-11 UGLI 033

Bite-sized wedges for easy eat-ability!

1-21-11 UGLI 034

1-21-11 UGLI 037

1-21-11 UGLI 038

The warm crispness of wheat tortilla chips = so good!

1-21-11 UGLI 039

1-21-11 UGLI 032

I love this versatile and bold flavor of hummus~

Though I am eating it in the most common way, as a dip, there are so many other ways to eat hummus~

I can’t wait to try it as a salad topper~

1-21-11 UGLI 041

1-21-11 UGLI 044

1-21-11 UGLI 045

Yummy red pepper hummus and crispy baked tortilla chips!

1-21-11 UGLI 046

Tortilla 1

I’ve got some chips leftover and perhaps I need to make more of this Santa Salsa to dip them in!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever roasted chickpeas?  I did and they were so scrumptious!

See the recipe here for Crisped Parmesan Chickpeas.

11-23-10 2 021

What is one of your favorite savory snacks?

Have you ever tried pizza flavored hummus?  It is so good!

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Baked Tortilla Chips-n-Hummus~Snack Time

1. Pizza hummus!!! Is that a dream come true?
    I love baking tortillas for a snack because you can make them sweet or savory.
    My favorite snack is pretzels with hummus!
    Oh and btw, those cognac shoes are from Target…shhh 😉

2. Wow that a great idea. I never even thought to roast tortiallas to make chips. It’s so easy even I can do it ha.

Red pepper hummus is my fav all the way. 🙂

3. yum! i love homemade chips. so easy!!

4. Homemade toasted pita chips taste so good! Great post!

5. Kelli says:

Matthew loves to bake tortilla shells like this for his chips. My favorite snack is cheese and crackers. I love all the Laughing Cow cheeses. I really like the pizza hummus but dessert hummus is my my favorite hummus!!!

6. Mmmm I may try this with some corn tortillas I have left over from making Chicken Enchiladas last weekend!

J and I like to thin out hummus with a little vinegar and olive oil and make it into a salad dressing. It tastes like a Mediterranean Caesar without the anchovies or raw egg 🙂

7. Pizza Hummus!!! No way! That sounds AWESOME!!!! 😀 And no, I’ve never roasted chickpeas before. I’ve got to try that! 😀

8. Roasted red pepper hummus is my favorite! I’ve never tried the pizza flavored one but I’m sure it’s delicious!

9. Britt says:

I think I have been living under a rock. Pizza hummus! I will definitely be getting this asap. Thankfully, I was already planning on going to the grocery store today!!!

10. OliePants says:

Pizza hummus sounds too good to be true!!! I would love it! I also need to start making my own chips asap! I bought some yesterday that I hated and thought that it would be just as easy to make at home! Thanks!

11. I love making my own chips! I especially like sprinkling Splenda and cinnamon on them and using them to eat fruit salsa! Yum!

I love baked tortilla chips. Sometimes I’ll make em sweet and add cinnamon and splenda. They taste incredible.

Hello twin–I just made baked tortilla chips the other night and made some nachos with them! So easy and simple, I love it!!!

Hold up, they have pizza flavored hummus? Is that a joke?? I hope not because I need to find it!

14. I haven’t tried roasted chickpeas, but I really need to! And now I also want try homemade tortilla chips! 🙂

15. Awesome idea baking tortillas, I need to try that. I also need to try roasted chickpeas after seeing so many great recipes – yum!

SUCH a good idea…as usual!

17. Amanda says:

Those chips look great! And such a smart idea to use high fiber tortillas. I love chips and dips but usually the chips are fried and not so great for me!

18. I love making my own baked tortilla chips! I hate the overly salted prepackaged kind. My favorite savory snack at the moment (I go through phases) is a Lundberg rice cake topped with sunflower butter and sweet mini peppers. I’ve never seen the pizza hummus…I might just have to make some of my own!

I just made some roasted chickpeas similar to Mama Pea’s pumpkin spiced ones and they turned out great, but I’m really curious about this crispy version of yours! I’m gonna go check it out!

19. Katie says:

Those chips look so delicious!!!

20. MegSmith says:

I love baking my own tortilla chips! I think they are sooo much better than any store brand I have ever had.