Protein Packed Pudding~Chia Seed Style

Chia pudding 50

Chi-ch-ch-CHIA.  When you think of chia, you think of chia pets right?  Well chia seeds are no longer being used for just chia pets.  They are incredibly nutritious and are being used in all kinds of baking and cooking recipes today.

It looks like black and brown tapioca pudding doesn’t it?  I love tapioca so no wonder I love chia seed pudding too 🙂

This was my first attempt at making chia seed pudding and it ended up really good and tasty!

And this pudding is the easiest recipe ever.  No baking.  No cooking. Mix, stir once and VOILA!

It’s smooth and creamy with a hint of crunch~

Chia pudding 001

I bought these chia seeds at Whole Foods.  Even though they are really expensive, their health benefits override the cost!

Chia pudding 002

Measure out 3/4 cup chia seeds and add to milk.  Stir in all other ingredients, including cinnamon~

Chia pudding 003 Chia pudding 004

Let mixture set in fridge for at least 1 hour and watch the chia seeds plump up~

Chia pudding 005  Chia pudding 007

Chia Seed Pudding

3/4 c. chia seeds

2 cups milk (almond, soy or skim)

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. almond extract

pinch of salt

4 packets Splenda

Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and let set in fridge for one hour.  As time passes the chia seeds will plump up and the pudding will thicken.  Spoon in to two serving dishes and eat!

Enjoy~

Chia pudding 008

Chia is the richest plant-source of this healthy oil. By weight, chia contains more omega 3 than salmon, and it still tastes like whatever you want! Omega 3 oil is important in heart and cholesterol health.

Chia pudding 010

Anti-oxidants have been in the news lately due to their super healthy benefits. You know that blueberries and several exotic fruits (that aren’t always in season) have them, but did you know that chia is extremely high in anti-oxidants too?

Chia pudding 011

Chia pudding 012

Chia pudding 013

Chia’s protein is complete to raise your energy levels. The combination of complete protein, vitamins, minerals and blood-sugar balancing gel all work together to make sure you have steady, never jittery energy.

Chia pudding 015

Chia pudding 016

Did you know when a chia seed is exposed to water, it forms a coating of gel, increasing its size and weight. Since the gel made of water, it has no calories. It’s also difficult to remove from the seed, meaning that it helps your body think it is full, without adding calories!

Chia information found here.

Chia pudding 017

Even though it may look a little weird or like something you are not used to eating, the pudding is delicious and nutritious!

Chia pudding 51

Chi-Ch-Ch-CHIA!  Remember those commercials from way back when?  They made me laugh hysterically and I thought chia pets were the dumbest things ever.

Have you ever tried chia seeds?

If so, what is your favorite way to eat them?  Please share your recipe!

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Protein Packed Pudding~Chia Seed Style

1. How funny. I use chia seeds or flax seeds to make all natural hair gel for my hair because of the way it congeals. Never thought it could be made into something tasty like this as well!

2. I eat chia seeds all the time but never thought of making them into a pudding. It’s delicious? You wouldn’t lie to me would you? 🙂 Okay it’s going on my recipes to try list.

3. Donna says:

Ohhhh this looks great!
    I heart my chia seeds in oatmeal and smoothies but never though of chia pudding
    I’ll be trying this tonight 🙂

4. Julie from PBFingers always eats chia seeds also. What do they taste like? Are they nutty or bitter? You’ve officially piqued my interest 😉

5. cakeologist says:

I am actually eating chia seeds as I read this – mixed in with apple sauce. I put them in everything from smoothies to spaghetti sauce. Will have to try the pudding recipe.

6. That looks really tasty! I’ve never tried chia seeds but after your educational and interesting post, I may just have to 🙂

Happy Wednesday!

I’ve become so addicted to chia seeds. They go in my oats every morning. Love them in overnight oats especially, and so nutritious!

8. Yum! I have to have chia seed pudding a few times a week! So easy, so good! 🙂

9. Katy says:

This definitely something I’m going to try out!! 🙂

10. I haven’t made chia pudding yet, although i do have chia seeds. I usually just sprinkle them in my cereal and on my oatmeal=) I’ll have to try some but probably a much smaller portion since I’m prone to make a huge batch of something than not liking it. It never fails.

ahhh this looks delicious! I wish I could eat it, but eating more then 1 tbsp of chias at a time upsets my tummy like crazzzy 😦

12. Ha! I’m surprised there are edible chia seeds! I’ll have to pick some up the next time I’m at Whole Foods!

Wow, chock full of info in this post–I never knew it packed so much Omega 3’s! I want to try chia seeds but they kinda scare me. I’m Italian and need no help growing hair 🙂

14. Ellie says:

Hiiii! Oh that’s an easy question~I pretty much put them in most things! hahha. Greek yogurt with toppings, smoothies, oats/voo, breads/baked goodies, french toasts, you name it! 😛

ya know I have yet to get into this whole chia thing..but I think I will soon!

16. JFlo says:

I actually get them in bulk at Sprouts, and they are so much cheaper. This looks awesome and I can’t wait to try it out! I’ve only had chia in oatmeal and some gluten-free bread but I LOVE those teeny seeds! My mom puts them in her smoothies and loves it.

17. Charlie says:

Chia seeds may be the best food ever made. Need to try your pudding!

18. I have been hearing so much about chia seeds lately- but didn’t realize how good for you they are! can’t wait to try them- sounds like from some of the other comments here that there’s a lot of different ways to incorporate them into your diet… easy way to get some protein into your daily intake!

19. I have been wanting to try chia seeds for the longest time. Can you only find Chia Seeds at health food stores?

xoxo
    Kathleen

20. Nice blog.
    So, that makes 2 servings?
    I wonder about chia seeds vs. flaxseeds.
    I have alot of bowel and digestion problems…wondering what might be good to add to things (and does it have to be ground first in order to add to yogurts, smoothies, cereals, etc?). Great blog.

• Yep, two servings. I buy both ground flax and whole flax and eat them both in my cereals and yogurts. Whole chia seeds are wonderful added to yogurts, smoothies and cereals, they have no taste, just add texture and nutrition! Thanks for the nice comment!

21. Tracey williams says:

How many servings of chia seeds can I have per day