Chickpea Crunch Salad

chickpea salad 50

Cheap and easy.  Simple and Delicious.

That describes this chickpea salad perfectly.

This wonderful vegetable is full of protein and takes center stage in this salad recipe.  Not your traditional salad, as in lettuce salad, but nonetheless it has the makings of a great meal that will surely fill your belly!

The celery, pickle and onion pieces give this salad a welcome crunch!

Chickpea salad 53

Garbanzo beans, celery and mayo are just part of the mixture~

chickpea salad 027

Stir it all up and give it a taste test.  That’s what I did and it was just perfect, I didn’t add anything else~

chickpea salad 028  chickpea salad 030

Chickpea Crunch Salad

• 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1-2 Tbsp. sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small pickle, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp. mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Chop celery, onion and pickle.

In large bowl, stir together all ingredients.

Serve with crackers, on a bun or just eat with a fork!

This recipe is super easy and full of flavor!

Recipe adapted from here.

chickpea salad 031

I ate my serving on some Wasa crisp crackers and I served my husband’s on a toasted sandwich thin bun.

chickpea salad 035 chickpea salad 036

You could also mash up some of the chickpeas if you wanted to make this salad a little creamier~

chickpea salad 037

chickpea salad 51

Why does the chickpea have two names; chickpea and garbanzo bean?

What is your favorite way to eat garbanzo beans?

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Chickpea Crunch Salad

1. Yum!! That looks delicious!! You always make the best stuff! 😀 I always look forward to your posts. 🙂

xoxo
    Kathleen

2. Ryan @ Aloha Appetite says:

When I first read mayo as part of the ingredient list, I was like “awww man nooooo” but since it’s only a tbsp I think I can deal. It looks too delicious to not make it.

I love garbanzos in fresh veggie spins, like with corn and avocado with lemon squeezed on top. Mmm!

3. Woah! You are totally reading my mind!!! I love chick peas. I actually have pasta with garlic, olive oil, crushed red pepper, & chickpeas for lunch (us Italianas call it “pasta chichi”) . It’s so good that I ate half for breakfast! Thanks for the recipe! You pictures are fabulous by the way. What kind of camera do you use?

4. I haven’t made a chickpea salad in ages.

5. Yum, I have a can of chickpeas just waiting to be used!

6. Meri says:

This looks great- I can’t believe I never thought of this before. I’m going to try it, with some cayenne and paprika too 🙂

I’ve eaten chickpeas so many times and never thought to make it into a salad lol How creative, look delicious

8. MMM that looks delicious! I love chickpeas and think if I made it, I’d add a little curry to it for some kick 🙂

We like to make hummus and then thin it with a little red or white wine vinegar and olive oil and make a sort of hummus Caesar dressing without the cheese or egg!

Have a great weekend!

9. This looks delicious, and I’ve been meaning to try that new mayo made from olive oil! Plus, I love the crunch of celery against softer foods!

10. Nichole says:

This looks great! I think I shall veganize it – I have all the ingredients at home to make this 🙂

It is almost like a healthy egg salad option!

11. Holy yum! You’re a genius! this sounds sooo delicious!

12. Ellie says:

I always wondered that too haha. I like them in salads, soups, and hummus of course

Delicious looking “salad!”

I never knew that they were the same thing until last yr! But then again, I didn’t start eating beans until about three or four years ago so that’s my excuse 🙂

I would have never thought to make a salad recipe out of them so I love this idea! I don’t like whole chickpeas normally but mashed I can totally do. Hummus is my all time fave!

15. I love adding chickpeas to salads too! It makes the texture so much more interesting!

16. Sounds like a great substitution for this former chicken salad lover turned vegetarian!

17. John says:

Great salad 🙂 I like the addition of garlic.

This is my favorite way to make chickpeas. It has two names because Chickpea is the English name and Garbanzo is the Spanish name. Both names are common place in the States though.

18. Oh yum. Must make.

I love chickpeas. When my parents used to take us to Pizza Hut, I’d get the salad bar then fill my plate with Chinese noodles, chickpeas, and Thousand Island dressing. I don’t think I’d like that today as much as I did when I was 10!

19. Sarah says:

yum yum yum! i have to use up some chickpeas before i move in a month, so i’m saving this recipe to help me do that!! 🙂

20. katie says: