U.G.L.I. You Ain’t Got No Alibi

UGLI

Enter the Ugli fruit from Jamaica 🙂

It’s a hybrid fruit made up of combining a grapefruit, orange and tangerine.

Sounds good huh?

With some tang, bitterness and sweetness, this fruit was a good find on a recent grocery store trip.

I was skeptical to buy it because of it’s name, but it was mixed in the middle of the orange and grapefruit displays, so I thought I might as well give it a try.

1-21-11 UGLI 001 1-21-11 UGLI 002

The skin was loose fitting.  It peeled really easily, in 3 big pieces.

1-21-11 UGLI 004  1-21-11 UGLI 006

A good source of Vitamin C and fiber!

1-21-11 UGLI 007

Acidly sweet and juicy!

1-21-11 UGLI 008    1-21-11 UGLI 012  1-21-11 UGLI 014 1-21-11 UGLI 015

Plump, full of juice and nearly seedless, the Ugli fruit makes a great snack!

UGLI 1

Have you ever tried an UGLI fruit?

What is an exotic fruit that you’ve tried and loved?

This entry was posted in Deliciousness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to U.G.L.I. You Ain’t Got No Alibi

1. Does it taste like a clementine!?

2. I’ve not tried it, but I totally giggle every time I see one (and sing that song , too!)

You know, I haven’t really tried any exotic fruit. I live near a Korean market, and they have some CRAZY fruits. Some are bigger than a watermelon. I’ve been tempted to try some, just to say I did.

3. I’ve never tried it but I like that you say it peels easy. I love citrus fruit but usually only eat clementines because I’m a lazy peeler. I don’t think I’ve tried anything exotic unless you count magos as exotic. I’ll only eat them is someone else cuts them up for me also, are you seeing a trend?

4. Donna says:

I’m definitely going to have to try this out! With a name like that i would probably just have walked straight past it
    Gorgeous photos 🙂

5. i’ve seen these in my grocery store but never been brave enough to try. i’ve also noticed in my store they changed the name to the uniq fruit!

I’m not big on exotic fruit but wow this looks delish …it’s making me thirsty too haha

I’ve never had that before but it looks good. Orangy maybe? lol

8. Hahaha, love the title post — very cute. Now that “song” will be in my head all day!

Hmm, weird fruits…I tried this one weird fruit in Nicaragua that I don’t recall the name of (it had a spiky exterior), but I didn’t love it.

9. Despite its name, your photos make it look amazing!

10. Meri says:

I haven’t yet, but I want to! I think all that was standing in my way was not really knowing what it was and not wanting to waste my money if I didn’t like it. Looks like a pretty standard citrus though!
    Love your sunny citrusy pics!

11. Nichole says:

I have not tried the UGLI fruit but thanks to you I will have to try it out!

12. Mindy@FSL says:

Jamaica has a ton of vegetation that most people haven’t heard of. When I went there, I tried gennup which was like a giant grape with a pit, I’ve tried calaloo which was a garlicky spinach. I’ve never tried ugli! It sounds great though

13. Yes, I love Ugli fruit! Just tried one for the first time a few months ago! I love the sweet and tangy taste!

I also love starfruit! And how cute are they?!

I tried the ugli fruit before and mine was SUPER sour!! Maybe I just had a bad one because it looks like all the other commenters loved ’em!

15. That sounds delicious even if it doesn’t look so great from the outside 🙂 I wonder how the combination of those three fruits resulted in that bumpy, green exterior!